Wandering Wallers

Wandering Wallers

Pages

Wednesday 26 November 2014

Grand Canyon - The Unforgettable Adventure - by Symi


Last week Mum, Dad and I were going to walk down the Grand Canyon, but first we had to get a permit. We were willing to go down as soon as they would give us one. We rolled up to the Backcountry Office, we asked if we could have a permit for overnight camping in the canyon at Phantom Ranch and Indian Garden. We were able to get one for the next day, so we were all happy. I was excited to experience the mysterious depths of the canyon. We went from Tuesday to Thursday a long journey down the canyon. I was scared but nervous and excited all at the same time.

Early on Tuesday morning we caught the shuttle bus to the South Kaibab Trailhead.  Standing at the top of the canyon we got someone to take a photo for us before we started down the mighty drop. We headed down the trail with our packs on our backs. After a while we stopped for a break at the first rest house, we had some rice crackers and some M&Ms. After that, we headed on back down the trail. On our way down we saw a mule train.

 
When we came to the next rest house, we walked down the trail a little further to find a nice spot for lunch. We found one overlooking the mighty Colorado River and in the sun. For lunch we had sandwiches and snacks. We met a guide while we were having lunch who started to talk to us. By this stage my legs were aching and the bad part was that there was still downhill to go.

After lunch we met some people coming up and they told us that there was a big horned sheep down the trail. We stopped to take some photos of it. It was splendid, but we did feel like it was giving us the evil eye. We were glad to pass it because it was close to the trail. We could see the suspension bridge a way down, at least it wasn’t a long way down.
When we arrived at Phantom Ranch we set up camp and got all the food out of the packs so the critters could not get them. We put all the food in a box and our packs were hung on a high rack. Next we went to a ranger talk at the ranch. It was all about wildlife, she talked about all the animals in the canyon. The ranger showed us some skins and skulls of animals that died, it was an intriguing talk.


When we went back to the Bright Angel Campground I wanted to go to sleep even thought it was only 5:00pm. My legs where so tired it was hard to walk! Next we had dinner, spaghetti bolognaise which was satisfying after a long walk. After that we went to bed. I felt so tired that I went straight to sleep.

The next morning we had oats for breakfast and headed off to Indian Garden. I was happy because it was up hill and my legs would not hurt as much. Today we did not stop for lunch but we had a couple of snacks. We hiked for about two hours up and 4 and a half miles.
 
When we got to Indian Garden we had some lunch and set up camp. All we had for lunch was a cup of soup and crackers with avocado, salami and cheese. After that we hung our bags up again because of the animals. I lay down in the tent while Mum and Dad chatted.

Later Dad and I went out to Plateau Point, it was mainly flat walking out to the overlook. When we got there it was a stunning view. We could see the Colorado River far below us. Someone told us they thought it was the finest view in Grand Canyon.
On our way back we saw a group of mule deer on the side of the path and with its mother there was a fawn. There were 7 of them and we got a lot of photos. I really liked watching them. The plants that they were eating didn’t look appetising. After that we headed to camp, at this moment the sun was setting and it looked lovely. Who should we meet on the trail but Mum. We all walked back and had macaroni and cheese with tuna for dinner and had a good night’s sleep.



We awoke to a sunny day with no clouds and sun. We had breakfast then started up to the rim. Before I knew it I was in front and speeding up the hill. I knew there was going to be a lot of switchbacks. Before long we were all at the 3 mile rest house and we put more weight in my pack. We had a snack and off I went.
Not long after we arrived at the 1.5 mile rest house and I was so tired that I was lagging behind. A little while later I got Dad to get the M&Ms out. I would eat one, then another, then I got to the point where I finished the bag. Close to the top we saw a frozen waterfall and ice.

Finally we got to the top and I was so appreciative I sat on the ground, but then I had to get back up so I could be in the photo. Just as we got to the shuttle bus station a bus arrived so we were all happy. We got to the RV and drove to the showers. After we had a shower we had chips for lunch, yum. We ate the whole packet.
 
Later that day we went to see Grand Canyon - the hidden secrets, IMAX movie. We did this to reward ourselves for our adventure. We all thought this was an easier way to experience the wonders of the Grand Canyon. When we talked about it we realised we were privileged to have experienced the wonders of the Grand Canyon on foot. It was a marvellous experience and impossible to know how big it is if you stay at the top. 
  

2 comments:

  1. WOW Symi what an amazing experience you have had, not any people can say they have slept in the GC I bet! I hope all of your tired legs have recovered by now. I bet you are just as tired from writing such a big blog as well!!! ����❤️Kx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Aunty Kirstie. My legs have recovered now. The blog took me 4 days to write. Symi x

    ReplyDelete